Naturalization & Citizenship Lawyer in Evanston
Assisting Clients with the Naturalization Process
While most Americans become citizens by being born within a U.S. territory, many others become citizens through naturalization. This was true for more than 7.2 million immigrants since 2010, according to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Agency, and it can become true for you and your family, too.
Becoming a U.S. citizen can be a lengthy legal process, where even the smallest missteps can cost you valuable time or your chance for citizenship. You have worked hard to get to where you are today, so let an experienced immigration lawyer in Evanston see you across the finish line. Attorney Alen Takhsh is a naturalized citizen himself and is intimately familiar with the process because he’s lived through it. Should you have questions about naturalization or require legal guidance, reach out to Takhsh Law P.C. for help.
Who Can Become a U.S. Citizen?
For many legal permanent residents in the U.S. (Green Card Holders), the ultimate goal is to one day become a Citizen. As long as you meet the general eligibility requirements, becoming a naturalized U.S. Citizen is possible if you have also been a lawful permanent resident for five years (or for three years, if you are married to a U.S. citizen). Others who also qualify include those who were born to a U.S. Citizen parent abroad or meet certain U.S. military service requirements.
General eligibility requirements to become a U.S. citizen include:
- 18 years of age or older
- Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder)
- Continuous Residence in the U.S. for at least five (5) years
- Physical Presence in the U.S. for at least 30 months (or 18 months if married to a U.S. Citizen)
- Good moral character
- Ability to read, write, and speak English
- Knowledge of U.S. history and Government
- Adherence to the principles of the U.S. Constitution
- Desire for U.S. to maintain good order and happiness; and
- Willingness and ability to take the Oath of Allegiance
Understand the Process of Becoming a U.S. Citizen
Naturalization is the legal process for a foreign national to become a U.S. citizen. Our naturalization and citizenship lawyer at Takhsh Law P.C. can assist you in ensuring that you are well positioned for success. As a general overview, the process consist of the following steps:
- Determine whether you are eligible
- Review and prepare Form N-400 - Application for Naturalization
- Submit Form N-400 and supporting documents
- Attend your biometrics appointment
- Appear for your interview at your USCIS Field Office
- Await approval of your case and notice regarding the date/time of your Oath of Allegiance; and
- Take the Oath of Allegiance to become a Naturalized Citizen of the United States.
Attorney Takhsh has more than a decade of experience as an advocate of immigrants' rights.
Attorney Takhsh has been in your shoes and achieved success. His goal is to help you reach your mountaintop.
Rarely will you find an attorney who truly cares. Attorney Takhsh will treat your case as his own.
If you are hiring Attorney Takhsh. You are getting him and no one else. He will see you through to the end.