Immigration FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers From a Leading
Immigration Lawyer

Alen Takhsh standing in front of the white house

Immigration issues can be complex and often require an in-depth knowledge of the law in order to achieve favorable results for you and your family as effectively, efficiently and affordably as possible. It is for this reason that we know that you may have a number of questions when you are facing an immigration issue, and Takhsh Law P.C. can help.

Our Evanston immigration attorney has the personal and professional experience to help you understand the twists and turns of the process and help you see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Reach out to our team online today to schedule a consultation.

When you marry a citizen, you can file for an adjustment of status based on marriage. This is popularly considered to be one of the easiest paths to your green card, however, it does come with a number of restrictions.

For example, you cannot fraudulently marry into citizenship, nor can you have prior criminal convictions on your record. You must be able to prove your marriage is legally binding and does not intend to defraud the United States’ immigration system.

If you fear for your safety or for your life in your home country, the U.S. offers asylum for persecuted individuals.

You must be able to prove that you are facing danger in your country of origin because of your:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Social affiliation
  • Political leanings
  • Or nationality

Every year, the United States allows for a certain number of workers to enter the U.S. for work-related purposes. Temporary visas, such as the B-1 visa and the E-2 visa, are available for those who want to open or invest in a business, and allow people to live in the U.S. for up to two years and conduct business legally.

There are also visas available to skilled workers, those of extraordinary ability, and for students seeking an education at a U.S. university. These F visas are available to students sponsored by a university or college where the student is enrolled full-time.

The United States offers two visa categories for immigrant families, preferred relatives and immediate relatives.

The first includes your:

  • Brother and sisters
  • Married children
  • Spouse of married children
  • And adult children

Immediate family members include:

  • Minor children
  • Your husband or wife
  • And your parents

Once you have obtained citizenship, you may sponsor your family member in the green card process with the help of our Evanston immigration lawyer. Your spouse or fiancé(e) may also be eligible for a K-visa. These are temporary visas and are generally the first start in the process for permanent residency based on your marriage.

The process of naturalization can be granted by being born to a U.S. Citizen, being born in the U.S., or through the citizenship process. This will give you the benefits and responsibilities of every U.S. Citizen, but also comes with certain requirements.

You must have been a permanent resident for at least five years or are the spouse of a citizen for at least three years. Obtaining permanent residency status involves getting and renewing your green card. These expire after ten years and take six months to renew.

First, remain calm. At Takhsh Law P.C., our Evanston immigration attorney has helped many facing deportation and removal cases.

We can help you apply for asylum, adjust your status, or file the paperwork necessary to keep you in the country, such as:

  • Waivers of inadmissibility
  • Motions to terminate
  • Cancellation of removal proceedings
  • And bonds of redetermination
If one of these or another immigration law challenge is on your mind, call Takhsh Law, P.C. at 877-762-1518 today.

If one of these or another immigration law challenge is on your mind, call Takhsh Law, P.C. at (312) 561-3735 today.

What Our Clients Are Saying
Excellence Recognized